Competition #: 2021-13
Position: Permanent, Full-Time
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Anticipated Start Date: July 5, 2021
APSEA is an interprovincial cooperative agency established in 1975 by joint agreement among the Ministers of Education of New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. APSEA provides educational services, programs and opportunities for children and youth who are Deaf, hard of hearing, blind, or visually impaired who reside in Atlantic Canada.
Reporting to the APSEA Provincial Supervisors for Students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing, the ASL Specialist is responsible for providing American Sign Language (ASL) assessment and consultation services to families, students, APSEA staff and school teams. The ASL Specialist supports the program plan of children and youth as it relates to ASL Development and understanding of the values of Deaf culture.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are among APSEA’s guiding principles. Moreover, diversity within APSEA is a strength that must be cultivated. It is the responsibility of every ASPEA employee to foster a culture that embraces and promotes diversity.
- Degree or training in a related field (linguistics, education, ASL development)
- Extensive experience of sign communication in the educational environment
- Native fluency in ASL
- Knowledge of sign language development and administering sign language assessments
- Knowledge of childhood development
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with APSEA colleagues, school-team members, families, other agencies, and educational partners
- Ability to work effectively as a team member
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated self-initiative and ability to work with limited supervision
- Culturally responsive with the ability to apply knowledge, experience and commitment in the areas of race relations, cross cultural understanding, human rights and diversity
- Regular travel that requires the use of a personal vehicle
- Some overnight travel
Offer of employment is conditional upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials.
APSEA is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. As part of this commitment, APSEA will ensure that applicants are provided reasonable accommodations, as required. If accommodation is needed to participate in the job application process, please contact Renée Pothier, Coordinator of Human Resources.
$55,167.00 - $67,299.00